Sunday 31 May 2015

Afdb: Okonjo Iweala Behind My Success, Saysb Adeshina

 

 

Afdb: Okonjo-iweala Behind My Success, Says Adesina



Dr Akinwumi Adesina, president-elect, Africa
Development Bank (AfDB) has credited his
success at the poll to the tireless work of Dr
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria’s Finance
Minister.






In a statement issued on Sunday, Adesina
thanked outgoing president, Goodluck
Jonathan and the newly sworn in president,
Muhammadu Buhari but showered special
encomium on Okonjo-Iweala.








“I would like to specially thank Dr. Ngozi
Okonjo-Iweala for her vital role and
tremendous effort in delivering this
successful outcome. Dr. Okonjo-Iweala, as
Nigeria’s Finance Minister, worked
passionately for our campaign, and our
success would have been impossible
without her tireless work shepherding
support among many of the esteemed
Finance Ministers and Governors at the AfDB.








He then thanked all those involved in the
process for electing him. “I am deeply
humbled and honoured to have been
entrusted with the great responsibility of
leading the African Development Bank (AfDB)
at a time that presents such great
opportunities and also profound challenges
for our continent.








“The AfDB campaign and election has been
an incredible experience, and I am grateful
to all those who supported me along the
way and to each and every person with
whom I’ve met and exchanged ideas and
hopes for inclusive economic growth on our
continent throughout this process.
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria's
Finance Minister
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria’s Finance
Minister








“I am thankful to have been given the
chance to travel to so many parts of the
continent – small states, fragile states, and
large states across Africa – to feel the pulse
of African leaders and peoples. I met with
young people and women – Africa’s greatest
assets, with small- and medium-sized
enterprises, and with Africa’s business
leaders. From rural areas to burgeoning
cities, I saw vast opportunities for a greater
and more inclusive Africa. I am hopeful and
excited about the prospect of building on
the great work of President Donald
Kaberuka at the AfDB,” he said.
Adding that: “Together, we can build a
stronger and more prosperous Africa, with
smart infrastructure, energy for all, a strong
private sector, new economic opportunities
that will deliver quality jobs and hope for
millions of youths and women, revival of
Africa’s rural economies to lift many out of
poverty, and regional integration for shared
prosperity.








“The shareholders of the AfDB from African
and non-African countries gave strong
support, for which I am deeply grateful.







Together, we will build a new Africa with
inclusive and green growth.





“I commend all my colleagues who
contested for the position, their countries,
and supporters. They conducted great
campaigns. They are all great assets to
Africa. I am truly humbled by the support of
many Presidents across every region of
Africa. Africa is my home.”








“I would like to give my special thanks to a
few people in particular without whom this
success would not have been possible:
former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan
for his nominating me, his confidence, and
his steadfast, enthusiastic support;
President Muhammadu Buhari for his strong
endorsement and rallying support for us.”
“Our leaders rallied behind us in a historic
display of unity of purpose and common
commitment. I would like to extend my
sincerest thanks to former President
Olusegun Obasanjo, former Head of State
General Abdulsalami Abubakar, former Head
of State General Yakubu Gowon, former Vice
President Namadi Sambo, and former Vice
President Atiku Abubakar, who worked
determinedly to build support behind my
candidacy among African leaders.”







“I would especially like to thank all the
people of Africa for your prayers, your well-
wishes, and your belief in me. I am truly
humbled by the outpouring of support I
have received from all across the continent. I
promise to work hard with all African
governments to deliver more inclusive
economic growth across our beautiful
continent,” the statement read.

No comments:

Post a Comment